- MFG # 2678
- UPC # 859447002678
Vitamin C is an antioxidant that is responsible for at least 300 metabolic functions in the body including‚ but not limited to‚ the production of collagen‚ which forms the basis of connective tissues such as bones‚ teeth‚ and and cartilage‚ wound-healing‚ supporting healthy immune and nervous system functions‚ production of adrenal hormones‚ cholesterol management‚ and supporting healthy aging.
Because the body cannot manufacture Vitamin C‚ it must be obtained through the diet or by supplementation. It must also be noted that Vitamin C is a water-soluble vitamin and excess Vitamin C is not stored in the body; for this reason‚ Vitamin C levels must be continually replenished via diet or supplementation.
Vitamin C - Food-based Vs. Synthetic
For the longest time‚ most manufacturers of Vitamin C supplements have taken isolated Ascorbic Acid and marketed it as a natural Vitamin C product. However‚ the reality is that the Ascorbic Acid in the majority of Vitamin C supplements on the market is synthesized in a lab from genetically modified and chemically produced corn glucose (made in China)‚ a process that can hardly be considered natural. The method used most often by the ascorbic acid industry in China‚ which supplies 80% of the world's ascorbic acid‚ involves the use of a genetically modified microbe species that oxidises sorbose into 2-ketogluconic acid (2-KGA); this then undergoes the ring-closing lactonization via dehydration producing ascorbic acid.
Food-based Vitamin C‚ on the other hand‚ is sourced from foods that are naturally rich in Vitamin C including berries (e.g. amla‚ camu camu‚ acerola)‚ citrus fruits (e.g. orange)‚ and green vegetables (e.g. asparagus‚ avocado)‚ is 100% natural‚ and free of genetically modified organisms. Regardless of whether or not synthetic Vitamin C and natural Vitamin C differ in terms of bioavailablity and absorption‚ food-based Vitamin C can offer all of the benefits that Vitamin C has to offer without any of the risks posed by genetically modified‚ synthetic Vitamin C supplements.
Vitamin C Forms - Ester-C®‚ Buffered‚ Ascorbyl Palmitate‚ and Bioflavanoids.
- Ester-C® is the brand name for Vitamin C in Calcium Ascorbate form along with small amounts of the vitamin C metabolites dehydroascorbic acid (oxidized ascorbic acid)‚ calcium threonate‚ and trace levels of xylonate and lyxonate. Although the company that makes Ester-C® claims its Vitamin C is more biovailable than other commercially available Vitamin C supplements‚ a claim based on an unpublished study‚ a small‚ published study found no differences between Ester-C® and commerically available ascorbic acid supplements with regard to absorption. However‚ the fact still remains that the source of Vitamin C in Ester-C® is synthetic and likely made using genetically modified organisms.
- Buffered Vitamin C is a form of Vitamin C that is combined with minerals like calcium‚ magneisum‚ and some form of potassium and is best suited for individuals who have sensitive stomachs that cannot tolerate un-buffered Vitamin C. Although buffered forms of Vitamin C may be "better" than un-buffered forms‚ there is no doubt that natural‚ food-based Vitamin C that is free of GMOs is still better than buffered Vitamin C made from genetically modified corn glucose.
- Ascorbyl Palmitate is a fat-solube form of Vitamin C that can penetrate cell membranes and offer protection from oxidative damage. However‚ taking Ascorbyl Palmitate form of Vitamin C orally does not result in any significant absorption into cell membranes than standard Ascorbic Acid preparations. As with all other forms of Ascorbic Acid that are NOT food-based‚ Ascorbyl Palmitate too is synthesized in a lab using genetically modified corn glucose as the starting material and‚ consequently‚ carries the same risks as any other synthetic form of Vitamin C.
- Vitamin C with Bioflavanoids is Vitamin C fortified with bioflavanoids‚ which are antioxidant molecules that offer protection from oxidative and free radical cell damage; these molecules also enhance the absorption of Vitamin C. While synthetic Vitamin C supplements have "added" bioflavanoids‚ food sources are naturally rich in both Vitamin C and bioflavanoids and likely offer synergistic benefits more powerful than synthetic Vitamin C with added bioflavanoids.
BOTTOM LINE:In view of the foregoing‚ the best form of Vitamin C may be one that is sourced from an organic‚ food source naturally rich in Vitamin C and bioflavanoids and without any of the risks inherent in genetically modified‚ synthetic forms of Vitamin C.
Health Benefits of Vitamin C.
- Supports immune health.
- Supports circulatory and heart health.
- Supports eye health.
- Supports prenatal health.
- Supports healthy aging.
Key Health Benefit(s): Supports immune‚ heart‚ vision‚ and prenatal health.
The Food-based Vitamin C Gold™ Advantage.
- Made with 100% natural‚ organic source of Vitamin C and Bioflavonoids (NO synthetic or genetically modified ingredients).
- Synergistically formulated with full-spectrum‚ berry blend for superior antioxidant protection.
- Each capsule delivers 400% Daily Value of Vitamin C (240 mg) and 45 mg of Bioflavonoids.
- Food-based and certified organic.
- Free of solvents‚ herbicides‚ and pesticides
- Formulated without the use of GMOs‚ additives‚ binders‚ artificial ingredients‚ preservatives‚ Stearates‚ Sulfates‚ Laurates‚ and Dioxides.
- Verified free of allergens by an independent‚ third-party lab.
- Verified free of GMOs by the Non-GMO Project™.
- 500 mg per vegetarian capsule / 90 capsules per bottle.
- Manufactured to stringent cGMP standards in the USA.
These statements have not been evaluated by the Food and Drug Administration (FDA). These products are not meant to diagnose‚ treat or cure any disease or medical condition. Please consult your doctor before starting any exercise or nutritional supplement program or before using these or any product during pregnancy or if you have a serious medical condition.
Serving Size: 1 Vegetarian capsule
Servings per Container: 90
Amount per Serving / DV*
Organic Vitamin C (from NutriBerry™ Blend) 240 mg / 400%
Bioflavonoids 45 mg / ƚ
Full - spectrum NutriBerry™ Blend 500 mg / ƚ
(Organic Amla‚ Organic Wild Bilberry‚ Organic Wild Lingonberry‚ Organic Black Currant‚ Organic Aronia‚ Organic Wild Blueberry‚ Organic Pomegranate‚ Organic Concord Grape‚ Organic Red Rasberry‚ Organic Sour Cherry‚ Organic Wild Elderberry‚ Organic Wild Cranberry‚ and Organic Black Raspberry).
* Daily Value based on a 2‚000 calorie diet.
ƚ Percent DV not established.
Other Ingredients: Vegetarian Capsule (non-GMO Plant Cellulose).
Does not contain GMOs‚ additives‚ fillers‚ artificial ingredients‚ preservatives‚ Stearates‚ Silicon Dioxide‚ or Titanium Dioxide.
Free of milk‚ egg‚ shellfish‚ peanuts‚ soy‚ and gluten.
As a dietary supplement‚ adults take 1 vegetarian capsule one to two times daily‚ or as directed by a healthcare professional.
Please consult your healthcare provider before taking this or any other supplement if you are pregnant‚ breast feeding‚ and/or currently taking any OTC or prescription medication for a health condition.
Allergy / Dietary Needs
- Organic Product
- Vegetarian Product
- Artificial Additive Free
- Fillers Free
- Preservative Free
- Milk Free
- Egg Free
- Shellfish Free
- Peanut Free
- Soy Free
- Gluten Free
- Allergen Free
Ratings & ReviewsReview This Item
Overall Rating for Vitamin C Gold 240 mg 90 Vegetarian Capsules
Displaying reviews 1-2 of 2
from Palm Desert, CA
Im so glad that Pure Formulas is carrying Nutrigold. This is a great clean gmo-free high mg for a natural Vit C.
√ I would recommend this item to a friend.
from Coral Gables, FL
Vitamin C Gold
Not synthetic ascorbic acid. All natural.
√ I would recommend this item to a friend.
Displaying reviews 1-2 of 2